Friday, October 24, 2014

The Matilija Poppy

These are the last of the photos that my sister took for me. 

 I saved the lovely white Matilija Poppies for last as they are one of my favorite wildflowers.  When I was in high school one of my teachers said they were Mariposa Poppies but I have learned (from both my sister Camille and my sister Norma) that these poppies are unique to the Matilija area  and are named after the area of their origin; Matilija (pronounced ma-til’li-ha).   The plants can reach up to 8 feet tall and boast large snow white blooms with vivid yellow centers.
They have become a lucrative plant for local nurserymen to propagate and ship to other municipalities that wish to include these lovely, papery white blooms into their landscape.


 
Notice the large seed pods of the Matilija poppy plant?
 
 


The large blossoms range from 6 to 9 inches across and are not only impressive in size but command attention with their ruffled white petals and sunshine yellow center.
 

6 comments:

  1. They are beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo - These plant used to grow only in the Matilija area, but since they are now being exported and planted in areas with a similar dry climate as Ventura county it is hard to guess just how far they will eventually end up.

      Delete
  2. I'd never seen white poppies before, even didn't suspect they existed! How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bairozan thank you for stopping by and paying a visit to my blog, I always love to hear from you.
      Yes the Matilija Poppy is a very impressive flower, not just because of its large blossom but with its ruffled, paper white petals and striking golden yellow center. It is hard not to notice them.

      Delete
  3. I have so enjoyed seeing the beautiful flowers along the Maricopa Highway. What a beautiful and enjoyable drive that must have been. The white poppies are just gorgeous. The petals remind me of crepe paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are gorgeous, and I'm glad you got close ups like that to share!

    ReplyDelete

Nothing makes me happier than to hear from those who have dropped by my blog for a visit. I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...