Monday, April 13, 2015

Searching for Venues


 
Recently I visited My Life Under the Bus,  a lively, fun blog by PatriciaGasparino.   She asked if any of her readers had experience with "Pop-Up Shops".  Truthfully I had never heard of them but decided to check it out.  Seems it was a big trend several years ago and is still going, though perhaps not quite as strongly. 

The premise is that there are a number of vacant storefronts and rather than have them remain empty and losing money, people can rent these vacant shops short term and sell their products directly to their customers.   Rent is supposed to be below market pricing and one isn't locked into a lease.  Sounds great but I'm sure that back a few years ago, during the depths of our last recession, there were a lot of storefronts that were unoccupied and leasing firms were probably desperate to have these places rented and bringing in a flow of cash.  Today they may not be so eager and their rent could be considerably higher.  Still it is an interesting premise.

If any of you have had experience with pop-up shops or pop-up stores or pop-up retail (they really are all the same animal) , or if you know of someone who has had experience in renting a pop-up space, would you please share your thoughts and opinions on this subject ?

9 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! Following......

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty cool! We have quite a bit of empty store front around here that'd do well with a pop up shop, but the landlords around here are too greedy I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm intrigued! I haven't heard of them, but after doing some research, it sounds like a big thing. I don't think it would work where I live, but I'm in a kind of rural area. Would love to hear if anyone else has done this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been pondering this for our vintage..to do an "occasional sale" maybe bi monthly, quarterly or even once a month. I had a retail store for 10 years and do not want to go back to being that tied down. I think it would be cool to get a few other antiquers to "go in with" but I KNOW you have to be really careful about that. Perfectly nice people can turn out to be closet crazies.There are a couple cool empty (expensive to rent) store fronts sitting in my town , but I don't know if they would be keen on turning on the power for a pop up..and being liable for insurance etc..hmmm..a thought though.You'd think some rental income would be better than none.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Anna Thanks so much for the shout out! Well as I have been seeing it the "new" Pop-Up shop is INSIDE another current retail location OR a purposeful set up in an ongoing location. IE There is a bakery that on the first Thursday of the month sets up a "Pop-up Shop night" and stays open late with cupcakes, drinks and music for a little extra shopping. I love these type of pop-ups as I think it could be a win-win for all concerned. The second I've seen is the "Once a month pp up" in a specific location. Think Farmers Market for crafts! I like this idea too - if you have the right venue people will come to seek you out. I actually haven't come across any around here of the vacant shop variety and I might be less enthusiastic about that unless it were a regular thing that would build a clientele. So maybe what is old has a new life again? XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen any pop- ups into area yet. But they are a great alternative to long term rent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see pop ups all the time in NYC, but these tend to be large displays or kiosks in one of the parks or large halls. The common ones are in Bryant Park and inside Grand Central Station where they will do a 'mini mall' with pop ups especially around the holidays. But I seriously doubt that these are sold at a 'discount.' Last I heard the GCS ones were going for $2,000 a week rent and those are roughly 8x8 ft sq.

    ReplyDelete

Nothing makes me happier than to hear from those who have dropped by my blog for a visit. I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...